Nikon Photo Contest 2016-2017
Call for entries 2016.10.17 - 2017.2.27
Entry Guidelines Available for Downloads (please read carefully before you submit the works)
All categories in photography and video will accept entries from any digital device, including smartphones except for Nikon 100th Anniversary Award. Furthermore, we will broaden the accepted length of video from 6 to 180 seconds.
- Entry Categories
- Awards and Prizes
- How to Enter
- Entry Period
- Submission Rules
- Notification to Winners
1.Nikon 100th Anniversary Award
- Theme: "Celebration"
- Entry format: single photo
- Limited to Nikon equipment
- No age restriction
2.Next Generation Award
- Theme: "Future"
- Entry format: single photo, photo story (two to five images), video
- Any equipment can be used
3.THE OPEN Award
- Theme: "Future"
- Entry format: single photo, photo story (two to five images), video
- Any equipment can be used
- No age restriction
Awards and Prizes
Nikon 100th Anniversary Prize(No. of Awards : 1)
Grand Prize(No. of Awards : 1)
Award for the most popular entry(No. of Awards : 1)
1st Prize(No. of Awards : 1 per category/format, total 7)
2nd Prize(No. of Awards : 3 per category/format, total 21)
3rd Prize(No. of Awards : 5 per category/format, total 35)
Prizes and rewards are subject to change without notice and cannot be exchanged, transferred or redeemed for cash.
Note that in the event of a conflict with the laws and regulations of a country, such as those pertaining to exports, or in the event of restrictions on the sale or use of a winning work within the winner's country of residence, the prize may be undeliverable to the winner.
In this case, a different prize shall be awarded at the discretion of the organizer.
* Winners will be requested to submit official confirmation of their date of birth. In the event that such documentation is not provided, winning status will be revoked.
How to Enter
Enter the contest by providing the required information in the entry form on this website. This form will become available on the first date entries are accepted (Monday, October 17, 2016).
Entry Period [Monday, October 17, 2016 (opens at 1:00 p.m. Japan standard time) - Monday, February 27, 2017 (closes at 1:00 p.m. Japan standard time)]
- Entrants under 18 years of age require the permission of a parent or guardian. By entering the contest, entrants under 18 years of age indicate that they have obtained the permission of a parent or guardian.
- The contest is not open to employees of Nikon (the "organizer") or its subsidiaries or affiliates.
- Entry is limited to original works that have not formerly been displayed or exhibited and to which the entrant holds all applicable rights.
- Works that have won prizes in other contests or that have been submitted to other contests currently underway, including similar works, are not eligible. Works that are entered in other competitions after submitting to this contest will be deemed as those having been submitted to other contests currently underway.
- Entrants can submit to both photography and video.
- The limit for submitted works is 10 photos, including those forming photo stories, and 1 video. Entries can be submitted to multiple categories so long as the total number of entries is within this limit.
- Works that are identical or similar to another submitted work (the "identical or similar works"*1), as well as works including identical or similar works submitted as separate works, are ineligible for submission.
*1 "Identical or similar works" refers to the following works:
- a work produced from identical image data;
a work produced by cropping or retouching to alter identical image data;
- a work produced from similar, though not identical, image data (e.g. a frame from the same series of shots, photography conducted at a different date or time yet producing the same result, or a work otherwise deemed to be similar).
- Image data files created with any digital device including smartphones, digital still cameras (including medium and large-format cameras).
- Images that have been retouched using software or by other means will be accepted. Retouched photography using a camera app or photo editing app is also accepted.
- Both color and monochrome images will be accepted.
- File size: up to 20 MB of image data per work
- File format: JPEG/150 dpi recommended
- The standard color space for the judging process is sRGB.
Winners may be requested to provide higher resolution images for publication or display purposes related to the contest.
- A video work comprising video footage and/or still images with a length of 6 to 180 seconds.
- Any video-recording device may be used.
- 360° videos are restricted to edited works that do not rely upon a 360° video playback device or application for viewing.
- File size: up to 400 MB of video data at the time of submission per work. File format: MOV or MP4.
- Any music used for the submitted work must not violate the copyrights of any third party.
- After the first round of judging, all entries will be posted onto this website (scheduled for March 2017). Awards will be decided after the second round (April), and final round (June) of judging. Contest results are scheduled to be announced on this website by July 2017.
- Everyone who has entered the contest has a right to vote for the "Participants Award for Most Popular Entry." All works that have passed the second round of judging will be subject to voting. Voting is scheduled for May 2017. Details will be announced on this website.
Notification to Winners
After the judging concludes, the winners will be notified via email sent to their registered email addresses by the end of June 2017.
Winners are requested to access the URL in the award notification email sent by the Nikon Photo Contest Office and, in case they accept the terms and conditions, register by the specified date. Failure to provide such acceptance may result in disqualification. Winners may be contacted by telephone or other means should the Nikon Photo Contest Office deem it necessary to confirm any of the information provided.
Please note that failure to respond within 21 days of the date on which the Nikon Photo Contest Office sends the award notification email, whether due to server malfunction or any other cause, will result in disqualification. Entrants should therefore notify the organizer of any changes to their email addresses through My Page on this website. Neither the organizer nor the Nikon Photo Contest Office shall accept liability for any disadvantages that may arise as the result of inability to receive email.
- Entries and the persons depicted therein are restricted to works for which the entrant holds the copyright or for the use of which the entrant has received the prior permission of the right holder.
- The entrant is responsible for taking all steps necessary to protect the rights of persons depicted, including but not limited to obtaining their permission.
- Entrants are responsible for the resolution of any legal issues arising from their works and agree to pay any costs thereby incurred.
- The organizer reserves the right to disallow entries that depict brand logos or other intellectual property, whether on signs or posters or in other forms, or that in its judgment are harmful to the public order, violate standards of decency or are contrary to the goals of the contest.
- Entrants must hold all applicable rights to the final image, including any retouching or other image processing.
- Entrants will not be notified of receipt of their entries. Please note that the organizer will not respond to inquiries concerning their receipt.
- Entries are only accepted through the Internet.
- Entrants shall bear all costs incurred by entering the contest.
- Entering the contest constitutes agreement to the terms and conditions stated in these Entry Guidelines.
- The organizer reserves the right of final judgment concerning items not expressly stated in these Entry Guidelines. Entrants who do not consent to the organizer's decisions may withdraw from the contest. All costs associated with withdrawal from the contest are to be borne by the entrant.
- Once submitted, entries will not be returned to entrants under any circumstances, even if they are later withdrawn.
- Please note that the organizer may elect to suspend or postpone receipt of any or all entries if in its judgment the contest cannot be run smoothly, securely or without affecting the fairness of the judging due to circumstances beyond its control, including but not limited to network failure, computer viruses or unauthorized access to its servers.
- Please note that when a winning work is used for exhibitions and the like stated below, due to circumstances concerning printing or otherwise, the tone or expressed meaning may not be strictly reproduced according to the winner's intent.
- Please note that no response shall be given to any inquiries or complaints regarding the judges' decisions.
- Although entries are handled with the greatest possible care, the organizer does not accept responsibility for accidents, damage or loss during upload.
- The organizer does not accept responsibility for damages arising from or related to circumstances beyond its control, including but not limited to network failure, computer viruses or unauthorized access to its servers.
- Save where they are due to the organizer's malice or gross negligence, the organizer does not accept liability for damages or other harm suffered by entrants as a result of their participation in the contest.
- Entrants are required to obtain the prior permission and consent of the persons who are portrayed in their works or who hold the copyright or other intellectual property rights to the works or the items portrayed therein.
- Entrants agree to fully indemnify the organizer and accept all responsibility for any third-party complaints or objections concerning copyright or other intellectual property rights infringement or damages arising from the works submitted.
- The foregoing limitations also apply to the responsibilities borne by the organizer and, the judges and third parties participating in the contest in cooperation with the organizer.
- The organizer reserves the right to publish entries to its public social networking service accounts throughout the submission period in order to publicize the contest. Such publication does not guarantee an award of any kind.
- The organizer reserves the right to publish all entries onto websites and social networking service accounts related to the contest after the first round of judging. Some entries may be cropped for publication.
- With the objective of publicizing the contest and enriching the general image-making culture, the organizer reserves in perpetuity the non-exclusive right to publish, reproduce, make public, publicly transmit, display, print, distribute and screen winning entries with the credit titles on websites and public social networking service accounts, in photo exhibitions, camera-related events, exhibitions and in the facilities managed or organized by the subsidiaries or affiliates of Nikon Group and local agents authorized by the organizer (collectively the "organizer, etc." including the organizer) without further compensation to or the additional prior consent of the winners.
- The organizer, etc. will display the names of the winners and the titles of the winning entries on contest-related websites and public social networking service accounts, at exhibitions, and in other locations where the works are shown. Entrants are requested to familiarize themselves with the "Personal Information" below.
- With the objective of accomplishing the goals outlined in the foregoing clause, the organizer, etc. may:
(a) display the winning entries in whole or in part on websites or public social networking service accounts under its administration, with the addition of graphical effects, sound effects or music; and
(b) employ the winning entries in whole or in part in the creation of posters, tickets and pamphlets promoting photo exhibitions and other events.
The winners agree not to exercise moral rights to works so used.
- For the objective other than those stated above, upon agreement with the creator or winner, the organizer reserves in perpetuity the non-exclusive right to publish, reproduce, make public, publicly transmit, display, print, distribute and screen entries or winning entries with labels indicating them as entries or winning entries of the contest and the credit titles, without further compensation.
- Entries that in the judgment of the organizer do not conform to these Entry Guidelines will be disqualified. Entrants will not be notified in this event.
- In the event that a winner is found to be disqualified after a prize is awarded, the award may be revoked and the entrant requested to return the prize.
- These Entry Guidelines shall be construed in accordance with the laws of Japan.
- Any disputes between entrants and the organizer shall be referred to the Tokyo District Court as the court of first instance having exclusive jurisdiction.
Use of Personal Information
- notify winners of the results;
- provide entrants with information about the contest;
- correspond with entrants about their submissions;
- announce the winning entries;
- generate general contest statistics;
- send out questionnaires about the contest; and
- deliver prizes.
Moreover, questionnaire contents that are voluntary filled in will be used as a reference when the finished products are released by our company.
Disclosure of Personal Information to Third Parties
Inquiries Concerning Personal Information
Updating Personal Information
Management of Personal Information
Erasure of Personal Information
With the exception of personal information pertaining to winners and entrants whose submissions have been used for purposes other than promoting the contest (“winners and some others”), the organizer shall take the steps needed to dispose of or erase all personal information submitted (entry forms, submitted files, and all other digitized personal information pertaining to the contest) on December 31, 2017 (the "date of erasure"). Please note that with the exceptions of winners and some others, no corrections or references can be made to entrants’ personal information on and after the date of erasure.